.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

EASY MOLE SAUCE

I love to cook. It's a great way for me to relax. I developed this recipe for mole sauce because I just love the stuff, and the authentic method is way too difficult and time consuming for my addled brain pan.

Start with a couple cups of chicken stock, and add a dried chille (broken up). Let that simmer.

In a shallow pan, sautee diced onion, garlic and fresh chilles. I like to get a variety of chillies. Try poblanos, sante fe's, red or light green jalapenos (ripe), but stay away from scotch bonnetts (habaneros).

Add a can of "spanish" tomato sauce to the chicken stock (remove the remains of the dried chille). I get the little cans of "salsa picante" which is not the stuff you dip your chips in, it's mildly spicy tomato sauce. To this I add the sauteed onion, garlic, and chilles. (Make sure that the onion and garlic have started to dissolve.) Now I add three or four chipotle peppers. You can get little cans of them, usually next to the salsa picante on the shelf in the littel bodega on the corner. (Those of you who don't live here in the civilized world, New York, may have a problem here. If you are determined, there are on-line groceries that have this stuff.) I let the sauce simmer for about a half hour, then I remove the chipotle peppers. Next I add a generous amount (maybe five tablespoons) of Nutella. Nutella is a european spread made with chocolate and hazelnuts. Traditionally Mole is not made with hazelnut, but peanuts. This is the big time saving step. No grinding of chocolate or peanuts here, just spoon in the Nutella, stir, simmer a bit longer, and pour on top of your enchiladas or chicken breast. I've tried it with sausage as well, yummy.

Next week, seafood enchiladas with plum sause.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?