.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

SUN CITY

I just saw Little Steven Van Zandt on the street, I see him alot, I think he lives nearby, it's hard to miss him. Anyway, it got me thinking about the Sun City/Artists United Against Apartheid record he did back in the late eighties. The single was the usual USA For Africa/Band Aid type thing with a mess of stars each taking a line, with Bono and Bruce always getting the real good ones. I remember Joey Ramone's line; "Constructive engagement is Ronald Reagan's plan ( pla-an)". But what's best about the record is the other tracks. "No More Aparthied" features an amazing scat vocal by Peter Gabriel. On "Let Me See Your I.D." we're treated to the talents of Gil Scott-Heron along with the popular Rappers of the day, and all over the record we get to hear the coolest human ever; Miles Davis. The list of participants is as long as it is imprerssive. Weather or not the theme is relative today ( I would argue that it always will be), it's great listening. And don't forget:

Constructive Engagement is Ronald Reagan's plan

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?