.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

LATEST IN LONG LINE OF LICK LIFTING

On the way back from Giants Stadium on Sunday my brother threw the Franz Ferdinand cd in the mobile spin machine. I had heard the single 'Take Me Out' before, but it didn't hit until that ride in the minivan - Franz Ferdinand have copped the feel of the King God of all post punk/new wave albums. I'm talking of course about the 'Entertainment' album by Gang of Four. Everybody, and I mean everybody, cites that album as being a prime influence. U2, REM, Husker Du, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Me, You...(well maybe not you). And it's not just a little bit, every song I heard had that Andy Gill guitar all over it. Am I the only one who hears it? I scoped Bob Mould's blog, found an interview with Andy Gill, but neither party mention this Franz Ferdinand record. Now don't get me wrong. I like it. I like it alot, but it's more of the same - Strokes, Hives, et al - derivative. It was cool to see young guys doing Iggy and Mick and whatnot, but isn't it time to start coming up with the next thing? I'm a realist. I know the Stones thing came from something else, as did the Ramones and every other 'new' thing, but I'd like to see something really fresh for a change. Am I asking too much? Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is.

Comments:
EVERY band I love seems to be influenced by that album. Fugazi, seemed to give props to Gang of Four in every interview, as well as their $5 shows. I'm sure I have the vinyl somewhere in this mess...

songs that stand out in my memory...
"at home he's a tourist"
"anthrax"
"guns before butter"
and of course "i found that essence rare"...

Aim for the body rare, you’ll see it on tv
The worst thing in 1954 was the bikini
See the girl on the tv dressed in a bikini
She doesn’t think so but she’s dressed for the h-bomb
(for the h-bomb)
I found that essence rare, it’s what I looked for
I knew I’d get what I asked for

The cover art is awesome too - the white man happy because he can exploit the indian... great stuff.

Entertainment by Gang of Four is must have!!!

I really dig your music blogs, once again you amaze me with your great taste in music.

keep up the great work jackson!
 
I'd be just as satified if somebody would just play some goddamn rock-n-roll. one/two guitars, bass, drums, singer(s), organ. That's all I need. Only the songs have to be new.

You know who's f'ing it all up..(other than Bruce Springsteen)? Sequencers are f'ing it all up.
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?