.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

FOOTBALL STEW.

I love football, I love to cook, and I love to eat. This weekend I planned a big repast for the games, it being my birthday weekend and all. I went to the store early, got all the goods, and had a pot on the stove by 11:00 AM. The first thing I do when making Stew is to put on a big pot of water. Usually I'll add a couple cans of beef stock, but in this case I used a bunch of boullion packets. The second thing I do is get really high. Then I start with the first phase of ingredients. I used about eight red potatos, peeled and quartered, two turnips, prepared the same way, half a small head of cabbage roughly shredded, and two carrotts, chopped in largish peices, I added them to the pot, along with a pound of beef, cubed, and two lamb necks on the bone. I bring this to a boil, then turn it down to medium simmer. Now comes phase two; I finely chop an onion, another carrott, the rest of the cabbage, three chillis, and a leek. I sautee this second group in olive oil, and when it gets good and hot I add a half cup of red wine. I also dump some red wine into the pot at this time. When the sautee is ready, the onions getting transparent, I dump that into the pot. I let that simmer for a few hours while I watch Green Bay maul the Skins. During the fourth quarter, I start phase three. In large peices I chop three plum tomatoes, a yellow squash, and a yellow pepper, which I dump into the pot. After another hour we're into the Pittsburg game, they are already up by three touchdowns, and it's time to boil up the ravioli over which I will serve the stew. Pittsburg trounced New England, the Stew was wonderful, and I got beaten at chess by my Girl. A great day.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?