.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 01, 2004

JOE'S RECORD PARADISE

Located in the wilds of Rockville Md, resides the greatest place on the earth, Joe's Record Paradise. This is where my girl found me that copy of Nazareth 'Playing The Game'. It is also where she took me on my birthday. I bought some records, all of which I will tell you about now.
Uriah Heep - 'Firefly', 1977. Most likely not a great record, but the collection calls, I must answer.
Budgie - self titled, 1973. Early heavy prog band, cover art by Roger Dean.
Mick Ronson - 'Slaughter On 10th Avenue', 1974. First solo record post Bowie. It was supposed to be the next big thing, didn't happen.
David Bowie - 'The man Who Sold The World', 1970, 1972. Reissue with different cover, black and white Bowie with guitar, original cover not in my budget.
Tommy Bolin - Teaser, 1975. This is the first solo Tommy Bolin record, not the one that I already blogged about, that one is the second. I hope this one is better.
Scorpions - 'Lovedrive', 1979. Original American cover with shitty logo. I have the bubble gum cover, classic, but the collection demands both, damn!
Coney Hatch - 'Outta Hand', 1983. I had to. I owned it back in the day. I remember liking it. I saw them open for Maiden. At least the singer for Coney Hatch could pronounce Poughkeepsie, Bruce Dickinson could not.
Billy Cobham - 'Spectrum', 1973. The prize. The nugget of joy. Rob Machold has been extolling the virtues of this jazz great, and the guitar on the record is played by...Tommy Bolin.
Grateful Dead - 'American Beauty', 1970. I may already have this one, it's getting to that point, I need a database. I need it one way or the other, an American classic, so better safe than sorry, for $5.50 I can deal with it.
Grand Funk - 'Live Album', 1970. See above.
Grand Funk - 'We're An American Band', 1973. There are too many sub standard G.F. albums, but this one is a must. Produced by Todd Rundgren.
Jeff Beck - 'Beck-Ola/Truth', 197?. A reissue of two Beck LP's in one. Andy Rock will flip his gourd.
Jeff Beck - 'With The Jan Hammer Group', 1977. A 'Wired' era live album.
Lou Reed - 'Transformer', 1972. Bowie produced classic. Never find this on vinyl in NYC.
Lou Reed - 'Berlin', 1973. Bob Ezrin produced follow-up to 'Transformer'. Most depressing LP ever. Again, never find it here. Complete with lyric book, a steal at $5.50.
Rush - '2112', 1976. I had to replace my twenty-five year old copy.
Staples Singers - 'Be What You Are', 1973. Gotta have a Stax record in the collection. Now i can listen to Mavis and weep any time I like.
DEVO - 'Duty Now For The Future', 1979. Smart Patrol, need I say more.
Peter Case - self titled, 1986. Tony, I found it! The first Peter Case, and my favorite.
Now guess how much I spent.

Comments:
Coney Hatch and Budgie... Hope those were a buy 15 get two albums free deal for those. Sounds like you had a great birthday Jackson. I'd go with an $80 dollar bogie on the price tag. The Peter Case record is sssssooooo damn good. You've got some other great ones in there as well. We must plan for a listening only day next time I'm in town.

Happy belated birthday and tell the Legal Diva good luck this weekend.
 
A bargain at any price, but you're close, $103. The Coney Hatch was a goof, but i have a good feeling about the Budgie record.
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?