.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 09, 2005

THE BIG ‘E’

My buddy Chan is a big Elvis fan, he’s even got a ‘TCB’ tattoo. I can appreciate that, but I wouldn’t call myself a fan. I don’t have any Elvis records, but his early ones were revolutionary, at least in the sense that they changed the world. As Chan says; Elvis taught white folk where the two and the four were. Well today is his birthday, at least here in LA it’s still his birthday, so I’m wishing him a happy one. Do they have Dilaudid in Heaven?

Elvis: "Jerry Lee, They say I play the Devils music."
Jerry Lee: "Hell Elvis, you ARE the Devil."

Comments:
No Elvis records? You're long overdue my friend.

As a basic start I say grab the following for your flight home:

Sunrise (Sun sessions plus outtakes)
Elvis '56 (RCA sides from the year in which Elvis changed the world)
Suspicious Minds (collection of tracks recorded in Memphis, 1969, during the King's last brief moment of mature glory)

Sure, you'll miss some great stuff, like his late 1950s and early 1960s gospel sides, and the phenomenal late career version of Chuck Berry's "Promised Land" (a song that could have been custom written for the King), but you won't go wrong.
 
Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?