.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 31, 2005

George Bernard Shaw

Ten years ago I was fortunate enough to get cast in a SUNY Albany production of George Bernard Shaw's play, 'Arms and the Man', and it was then that my appreciation of this literary giant began. Since then I've taken notice of a number of great quotes from George, many of which I will share with you now.

"Fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic."

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

"Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them."

"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."

"If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

"Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability."

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place"

"No sooner had Jesus knocked over the dragon of superstition that Paul boldly set it on it's legs again in the name of Jesus."

"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

"All my life affection has been showered upon me, and every forward step I have made has been taken in spite of it."

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

"The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it."

"Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy."

"Newspapers are unable, seemingly to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization."

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means."

and finally....

"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people."


Have I succeeded yet?


Comments:
You offended me when you smoked the Bible.
 
I didn't smoke the Bible, I smoked a blank page at the back of the Bible intended for people to write upon, I chose to smoke it instead. But for posterity, I don't place the Bible aove any other historical work of fiction.
 
Yes, well Tampax wrappers work equally as well for smoking ... that's IF you don't mind smoking the word Tampax ! I'm sure it would offend someone somewhere ! lol ... Great Quotes Jackson !! George was a funny guy. A sense of humor is oh so important. Rock ON :)
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?