.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 25, 2005

NO HOPE IN POPE

My mother reminded me that Ratzinger (thanks Clarkie!), Pope Benedict XVI, was the Cardinal for the German diocese we were part of when we lived in Heidelberg. At the time (1980) Ratzie censured famed theologian Hans Kung for advocating contraception, female preists, and clerical marriage. Silly Hans. Well actually silly Ratzie, because that controversy has set up Kung as the leading secular theologian of our time. Google him, he's quite an amazing guy. Anyway, the fact that this guy (Ratzie/Benedict) was John Paul II's number one, his right arm, his heir apparent, says quite a bit about ol' JP II. Meet the new Pope, same as the old Pope. I hear that the decision to elect Ratzie was to give some time for JP II's legacy to gel. Legacy? What travel? I'm sure they want to cannonize him, so we can look forward to Saint John Paul, the Patron Saint of Sky Miles. In the meantime, more repression, more unwanted pregnancies, and more death in Africa from AIDS. No hurry, guys.

Comments:
Patron saint of Sky Miles, that's some funny stuff.

As far as contraception is concerned, I don't see too many Catholic families presently who have 5 to 10 kids like when I was growing up. So either they don't play "dueling bedsprings" as much as their parents did, or somebody is using some contraception!

I've been waiting for you to blog on the popes views on Rock Music.

check this out
http://asmallvictory.net/archives/008787.html
 
Patron saint of Sky Miles, that's some funny stuff.

As far as contraception is concerned, I don't see too many Catholic families presently who have 5 to 10 kids like when I was growing up. So either they don't play "dueling bedsprings" as much as their parents did, or somebody is using some contraception!

I've been waiting for you to blog on the popes views on Rock Music.

check this out
http://asmallvictory.net/archives/008787.html
 
Maybe the Catholics in Minnesota have been curbing their procreative activities, but look south of the border my man.....
 
Dear Ted,

The name's Ratzinger...or Benedict now... I don't believe he's ever appeared on Cheers. Not only did he mess with your man Hans, he also silenced Cardinal Leonardo Boff in the early eighties for writing about Liberation Theology. If memory serves me - and sometimes it doesn't - Cardinal Boff was Brazilian and wrote The Pedagogy of the Opressed among other things. He was a stand up guy. I could understand if the Church chose to excommunicate him (which was threatened) if they wanted to take a stand against LT but to silence someone is so ridiculous. For whatever shortcomings it may have had, Liberation Theology addressed problems in S. America (and throughout the world) that the Catholic Church still chooses to ignore today. I have always felt that squelching it without providing a decent alternative or doing more to provide the poor with a voice and the means to change their situation has been the Catholic Church's greatest sin of omission. Boff... that's a funny name for a priest, don't you think?
 
Yes, Calarkie, I do think it's a funny name for a preist. Might as well go with Cardinal Fucksalot.
 
Heh. I do have to say that Patron Saint of Sky Miles is clever. And, I agree with you...Christy
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?