.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

33 1/3

I love rock music, and I love to read. It follows that I love to read about rock music. I have read many bio's; Morrison, Joplin, Lennon, Marley, Lynott, Lydon.....ect. Invariably I am let down because the author wants to tell the story of the Person, often leaving out or glossing over years of activity. The last five years of Bob Marley's life, according to 'Catch A Fire' take up only twenty pages of a five-hundred page book, barely mentioning classic albums such as 'Exodus', 'Uprising' and 'Survival'.
I want to know about the music. How it was made, where it was made, who made it, what gear did they use, but nobody writes those books.......except these guys. The 33 1/3 book series (Continuum Books), which Fred has blogged about, is fantastic. I've read two, The Kinks: Village Green Preservation Society, and The Stones: Exile. They were both extremely informative, and I recomend them and the series. I plan on reading The Ramones one next, followed by The Replacements Let It Be. There's also Neil Young: Harvest, Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures, Dusty Springfeild: Dusty In Memphis...a crap load, and I plan on devouring them.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?