.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, July 03, 2005

NO MORE EXCUSES

That was the sign above the stage in London while Pink Floyd played their set at the LIVE 8 concert. I'm sure it was in reference to the cause, but it fit for the Pink Floyd reunion as well. Twenty-five years in the making, it was a singularly spectacular event. I was deathly afraid of MTV fucking up the coverage, having cut off greats like the Who and REM, what would we actually get to see of the Floyd? Well, they cut in about 20 seconds into the first tune 'Breathe', and cut off the last half of 'Comfortably Numb', but we got the whole of 'Money and 'Wish You Were Here' (including a vocal by Roger). Dave did an inspired guitar solo during 'Money', and even Rickey Wright was there. It certainly fulfilled my expectations. Roger seemed to be enjoying it the most, beaming with enthusiasm, and even trying to engage Dave, while Nicky seemed to be sitting back and enjoying the moment in that quiet drummer fashion. I can't imagine this event sparking any further Floyd reunion activity, but once you've seen pigs fly, anything is possible.

Comments:
Damn, I didn't get to see it. But I heard that Roger seemed really happy, and David seemed miserable, a reverse of the last time they played. Or something like that. But hey, I was off one song on our predictions. Instead of Breathe, I said Another Brick In The Wall II.
 
I would not say Dave seemed miserable, he seemed the same as he always does. One might mistake being engrossed in the finest music ever made as being miserable, but I think he was simply concentrating on giving the best performance possible - even God has to work at it a bit.
 
Dave certaintly looked old, and Roger seemed happy (but I'm sure I saw his hands shaking during some close-ups). I think Nick was close to crying and we never really got to see Rick. Gilmour played and sang incredibly, just as always.

They were pretty good, a couple of mistakes, but not bad considering the four of them haven't been onstage together in 24 years or so.

I screamed at the TV when MTV cut away during "Comfortably Numb." I now hate MTV even more, which I didn't think was possible.

All in all, pretty amazing stuff.
 
I take it back. I just got to watch it and they were great. Roger definitely looked happy, and if I'm not mistaken, David and Roger smiled at each other more than once. I'm not expecting it, but I would kill for a tour.

-Ken
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?