.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

ORGANIZIZED

The Transit Strike has got me thinking about how I feel about unions. The problem is I don't know how I feel about them. I think workers have a right to organize and use collective bargaining. I also feel that the MTA, as fucked as they are, can do what it pleases regarding a new contract with the Union. I don't know, I am ambivalent. I do know how Frank Zappa felt, he tells us on the song 'Stick Together' from The Man From Utopia LP:

'This is a song about the union, friends
How they fucked you over and the way they bends
The rules to suit a special few
And you gets pooched every time the do

You know we gotta stick together
You know we gotta stick together
You know we gotta stick together
You know we gotta stick together

Once upon a time the idea was good
If only they'd a done what they said they would
It ain't no better, they's makin' it worse
The labor movement's got the Mafia curse

You know we gotta stick together
You know we gotta stick together
You know we gotta stick together
You know we gotta stick together

Don't be no fool, don't be no dope
Common sense is your only hope
When the union tells you it's time to strike
Tell the motherfucker to take a hike

You know we gotta stick together You know we gotta stick together You know we gotta stick together You know we gotta stick together'

That's fairly plain English. I think I get the jist of Frank's feelings on the matter.

I do know that I really like 'The Man From Utopia', I think it's his best record post 'Joe's Garage'. I remember the first time I heard it, I was visiting a 'freind' who was at college (I was a senior in high school') and there was some mushroom dust left over from a party the night before, which we mixed with some reefer. That record sounded awesome! So did Weird Al's 'In 3-D' for that matter.


Comments:
gotta love that Frank Zappa.

did you like Shut up and play your guitar? one of my favorites.

Broadway the hardway is pretty awesome too.
 
Weird Al Rocks.

My brother in law's brother recently did animation for a Weird AL dvd.

He said he spoke to him on the phone and he was Weird. But very nice.
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?