.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, October 26, 2007

OUR VINYL

Unbeknownst to eachother, the Legal Diva and I both bought vinyl this past weekend. She bought hers from a street vendor; I got mine at Ear Wax in ATL.

Hers:

War - Greatest Hits. Great find, I'm sure it will get rotation at our party this weekend. I believe Rod suggested I get some War on this blog recently.

Roberta Flack Featuring Donny Hathaway. I have the 'Killing Me Softly' record. The Donny Hathaway portion, I'm sure, is part of my education.

Donna Summer - Greatest Hits. I'm so glad she bought this, I'd be too embarrassed. I'm sure we'll hear some of this record on Saturday as well.

His:

I already blogged the two Lone Star records. The self titled 1976 debut, produced by Roy Thomas Baker, and it's successor, and the bands swan song, 'Firing On All Six', produced by Gary Lyons in 1977. I gave 'em each a spin (side 1 for both). I'd lump them in with City Boy and Crack the Sky, melodic hard rock that flirts with prog. The first record opens with a way over the top cover of 'She Said, She Said'. It's kinda fun in a novelty way, plus, hell, it's a Lennon/McCartney tune, and one of my faves. The first record also came with a slip sheet insert with a promo blurb about the band. They are from Wales, not Texas. Who'd a thunk it. It goes on to say that they 'have a head start on their rivals' (rivals?), and that they 'will have little trouble grabbing the crown of highest success with their explosive, dynamic music.'. It's important to note that this band went absolutely nowhere; dropped after their second effort. I kinda dig 'em though. It's my cup of tea; an odd tea none the less.

The Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World. Classic. I'm definitely buying more Isleys records. Produced by the Isleys in 1976.

The Brothers Johnson - Look Out For #1. Tony Alva always praised this very funky and melodic record. You can't go wrong with a dude called Thunder Thumbs. Produced by Quincy Jones in 1976.

Isaac Hayes - Black Moses. A seminal record, and a double disc at that. A HUGE score, except, I noticed later that it's pressed on what is called 'Dynaflex' vinyl. Seriously thin discs that were supposed to last longer and be resistant to pops and skips as well as less likely to warp. Well it don't sound so hot, and I'm sure it was just a money saving ploy by the record company, Enterprise, a division of Stax. In the end, Isaac is the man, and I'll live with it. Produced by Isaac in 1971.

Tommy James and the Shondells - The Best Of. A necessary purchase. Hanky Panky may be the greatest song ever written, and then there's all the other hits.

Eddie Money - Eddie Money. The Legal Diva has a thing for Eddie. I encourage it, anything to get her dancing. She's happy when she dances. 'Baby Hold On To Me' is a great hook, and I'll always have a soft spot for 'Two Tickets To Paradise' because Talon played it.

Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody. If this one is anything like 'Now Is The Time' then I'm in very good shape here.

Black Oak Arkansas - X Rated. As I said to Tony; 'Every once in a while I buy a Black Oak Arkansas record'. I guess it was time. This one looks very bad. The other one I have isn't very good either. Neither has their hit 'Jim Dandy' on it. There's got to be something going on in the rhythm section with Tommy Aldridge back there, so, I got that going for me.

Glenn Campbell - By The Time I Get To Phoenix, and Galveston. Combined with 'Wichita Lineman', which I already had, I now have the Glenn Campbell/Jimmy Webb trilogy. Good stuff.

Comments:
great finds:
someone left my cake out in the rain...
I grew up on the Donna Summer stuff - my mother was a big fan, Donna live was in heavy rotation at the Mooksuki House.

Regarding the Isley Brothers... One of my favorite records of all time is "GO FOR YOUR GUNS"
Some of the most incredible shredding leads can be heard on this Record. There is a song called "climbing up the ladder" which has a lead section that puts chills down your spine.
Wow, the second I get home I'm listening to this. If you don't already have this record - get it! you will be quite pleased.
 
Gotta get one of the War albums and go deeper than 'Why Can't We Be Friends' and 'Love Rollercoaster'.
 
Damn good vinyl. I had a lot of those when they first came out.
 
Tony - apparently you do, because 'Love Rollercoaster' is not a War song. Hits include; 'Low Rider', 'Why Can't We Be Freinds', and 'The Cisco Kid'. I'm just going to stick with the Greatest Hits for now.
 
Low Rider was what I was thinking about. I had the single when I was a young tike in 1976...
 
Isley's Brothers, the pride of Teaneck NJ. Excellent score.

"Love Roller Coaster" was a big hit by The Ohio Players.

All that shiz was on the jukebox at the teen club at WP in the mid '70s.

Stay away from Captain and Tennille.
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?