.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

HANG ON TO YOURSELF

Well, it seems there's another thing we all have to look forward to. David Bowie is releasing a live record recorded during the Ziggy Stardust (1972) tour in Santa Monica.




You can listen to it here, if you let VH1 install it's media player. I'll wait until I can hold the record in my hand and read the liner notes as I listen to what I'm sure is utter magic.

Read reviews here.

I'm quite sure this record will take the top slot on any 'Best Records of 2008' post of mine.

I'm also fairly sure it will be a cozy little list of two with this record and the Mudcrutch record.



Hmmmm, I guess House of Blondes makes three.



Hey, you never know, 'Chinese Democracy' might come out this year.

Pigs also might fly.



'Chinese Democracy', hee hee, just typing it makes me chuckle. Has any record ever had such a lengthy incubation? Has any record ever been so destined to be ant-climatic? Has any technically non-existent record ever had a wikipedia entry? I mean, even the title is so familiar now that it's become devoid of any power it might have had. If I was Axl, and I'm so very glad that I'm not, I'd come up with a new title.

It's just a joke at this point, and yes, I'm curious to hear it.

Comments:
The leaked GnR songs I have heard sound HORRIBLE. Axl has forgotten (if he ever knew) what made 'Appetite' so attractive.. It had imperfections.. Izzy.. that made it sound live and powerful. The new stuff sounds very protools... Bucketfoot/Bumblehead
 
Milk,

Exactly what I thought of the tracks I've heard. I think once Axl became rich beyond beleif, he indulged in the "I'm going to make a record as if I was in all the bands I like" thing.

Couldn't agree more about the Izzy factor. Slash should have worked harder to keep him in the band even if it meant leaving then.

While there is redeeming stuff on the Illusions discs, it's only one albums worth of listenable shit and with that, Chinese Democracy was pretty much destined to blow in my mind.
 
Oh yeah...

HOLY SHIT THAT MUDCRUTCH ALBUM IS HOT!!!!
 
That Live in Santa Monica album has been out for a long time. I have it for well over 10 years. And yeah, it's great.
 
I'd love to get that Bowie record. The only document I have ever seen of the Ziggy-era show is the film and for reasons I don't understand it's just really boring to watch.
 
It can't be hard to find. Mine says from 1995, but was some limited edition which came in this thick cardboard packaging with a 7" of Ziggy Stardust and Waiting For The Man. But there was a regular CD version as well.
 
The Bowie Santa Monica 72 will be available in whatever record stores there are left very soon, but I'm sure you'll be able to get it at Amazon as well as from Bowie.net

The Ziggy Movie soundtrack suffers from a poor board mix that improves somewhat after the fourth or fifthe song. The movie itself suffers from bad editing as well. All that backstage stuff with him getting made up and changing outfits is visual valium. 'Moonage Daydream', of course, as well as 'Rock n Roll Suicide' are amazing. Somebody should take that movie and trim it down to a half hour of greatness.
 
i just downloaded the Santa Monica '72 record from Amazon and will listen with Jo and Josh on the way up to Fort Montgomery today. Thanks for the tip. As I said in an earlier comment, that is my favorite bowie era by far.
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?